Healthy boy never had cavities and now has cavities even though his diet is better.
Question: I have an 8 year old boy. He was an emergency caesarian and was always quite healthy. He had no wheat till he was two and no sugar until almost 3. When he was around 3 we were abroad and he got the flu, conjunctivitis and an infection. I tried herbs and some other stuff but he did not respond and since I was traveling and felt vulnerable, I gave him antibiotics. Over the next few years, he started to crave more carbs having always been a good protein, fat, and veggie eater before.
He seemed to be
getting sick a lot despite eating quite a WAP diet and he was having
cold sores almost every week and had dark circles under his eyes. He
had had undigested stools most of his life so I put him on GAPS for
the first half of 2010. We did not have cod liver oil or butter oil as
he could not stomach them but he did eat sauerkraut twice every day
and he had homemade yogurt. He had not have a cavity in 3 years
(before we went WAP) and last month we went to the dentist and he said that his teeth seemed soft and that his mouth seemed acidic - that some people's mouths produce plaque and some people's mouths do not but are more acidic and their teeth are more prone to decay. I am shocked and concerned and not sure what is going on, why this has
happened, or what to do about it. Is it from too much kraut, too many nut butters, something else? His overall health is much improved from the diet but I was shocked about his teeth.
Answer: You said your son has had undigested stools most of his life. And although he is overall a healthy boy, he has some imbalances. You point towards these imbalances as chronic infections that do not seem to have a cause. You believe that these infections are significantly connected to his gut health. This may be the case. Children born cesarean, and exposed to antibiotics may have imbalances in their gut flora. Furthermore there is a significant problem of sensitivity to foods so he won't even eat high vitamin butter oil which would be a good idea.
- Avoid nut butters and nut flours.
- Carbs are necessary so craving carbs is not necessarily a sign of an imbalance.
- Avoid all sugar and sweets, even natural ones.
- If he won't eat butter oil or cod liver oil give him oily fish, dug eggs, and beef fat for vitamin D, and liver for vitamin A. Fat-soluble vitamins are a must.
- Make sure he has adequate calcium. Lots and lots of leafy green vegetables, and or plenty of yogurt.
- I think sauerkraut and yogurt should be fine, and perhaps even vital. But since he has a strange symptom of over acidity, try removing the sauerkraut and sticking with yogurt and I would recommend kefir as well.
- In the GAPS perspective it is the imbalance gut flora causing disease. I think your son definately has a yeast / candida type of issue. But these generally stem from damage to other organs like the liver, spleen and pancreas. These can be healed with excellent herbs. Also I would encourage body work like osteopathy or chiropractic work and some emotional type of therapies.
- Acidic teeth or mouth is a sign of a significant imbalance. This case needs further support from an excellent herbalist. Such as Chinese medicine, ayurvedic medicine, or Tibetan medicine. Some western health practioners may be of benifit as well.
Other people have learned the secrets to stopping cavities with the published book Cure Tooth Decay